[Blindtlk] Letter to the Editor Concerning "Dining in the Dark"

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Mar 13 17:44:45 UTC 2010

Steve:

You ask a good question -- how do you educate employers.  However,
role playing, in my opinion, particularly in an uncontrolled setting
like Dining in the Dark, probably does more harm then good.  If you
dump someone into a new setting, like total darkness, with no tools
for dealing with it, or no one to help very much all you are going to
do is reinforce negative attitudes and just scare the person.  If
they can't cope they will think blind people can't cope
either.  However, we know we have tools, learning, experience, the
help of each other through the NFB and this list, and other places
etc., to help us with new situations.  I think role playing can be
useful sometimes, but in a situation like Dining in the Dark it will
only perpetuate stereotypes of helplessness.

Dave