[Blindtlk] New Member

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Oct 21 17:30:53 UTC 2010

Are you talking about the sort of light that only turns red when a
pedestrian pushes the button?

I cross at a light like that frequently.  It is strictly for pedestrians,
meaning there is no perpendicular street.   The traffic is intermittent and
I feel more comfortable pushing the button.   The first time I crossed there
I had a sighted person along to tell me when the light changes.  I count the
seconds in my head from when I push the button to when it should turn red.
I confirm this by listening for traffic that has stopped.

It's not perfect, but it works for me.

HTH
Julie