[Blindtlk] New Member

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 22 17:48:43 UTC 2010

Dear Candi,

You do not need one of those kinds of signals.  The only thing they do is
let you know that the light has changed, but they do not tell you which
direction is safe to cross in and their sound can cover up the sounds of
cars slowing down to do a Right on Red.  They often lead people into a false
sense of security and people just step off the curb when they hear the sound
and forget to use their skills and check to make sure  the cars have stopped
first.
You want to listen to the intersection first, so you have a clear picture ,
in your head, of the intersection and in what order the traffic moves as the
lights change.
Which ever way the through traffic is moving is the direction that is safe
to cross.
  In other words, if you are trying to cross at a light, you should also be
crossing in the same direction as the movement of the traffic surge.
you still need to listen for cars that have not stopped in any case.
If you really need some help crossing and you still feel that a special
signal is what you must have, ask for a signal with a vibro tactile button.
This is a signal that has a short pole next to the curb cut or cross walk
with in a step or so of the curb.  You press the button and hold it and when
the light changes in your favor, the button vibrates and pops out to tell
you the light is good for you to cross.
This is usable by everyone, even Deaf-Blind and the button makes enough
sound, without being held in, that you can hear it vibrate.  It does not
cover up the important sounds of traffic and does not bother all of the near
by residents every time the light changes.
If you are crossing a intersection with streets running north and south and
east and west, here is an example.
Lets say you are wanting to cross from the south to the north and you are on
the west side of the street looking north.
It would place you on the right side of the corner, which is good in that it
makes you the most visible to cars approaching the corner from the west.
You should hear the cars from the west stopping and idling at the cross walk
and maybe pulling up to the corner to do a right on red.  Now you should
begin your crossing, to the north, when you hear the traffic on your left
has stopped, and the traffic going north and south on your right surging
forward.  Stick your cane out and indicate your intention to cross and step
off the curb only if you are sure the cars on the west side have stopped for
you.  Now just cross the street.

Depending on the intersection, you may have to allow for traffic turning
from the north bound lanes to go west.
If you are crossing to the east, you will cross when you hear the east west
traffic surge forward, but be carful and mindful of east bound cars doing a
right on red .
I use these same techniques to cross the intersection of two 6 lane roads
that each have meridians in the middles, duel left turn lanes and right on
red lanes at all four corners and 65 to 80,000 cars a day.

There is no substitute for good O and M training and no audible signal will
ever, by it's self, make you safe.  Your knowledge and ears are always your
best protection.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.