[Blindtlk] gross but what do I do?

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Sep 21 02:05:08 UTC 2010

Connie,

I just got my prosthetic eye last week, so I'm not an expert on this, but
here goes. *smile*

In my case there was no damage to the eyelid or face at all.  The artificial
eye is in two pieces an implant and the prosthesis.   I have a coral implant
covered with donor sclera.  After that healed I got the prosthesis which is
the pretty part that people see.  It can be removed, but the implant portion
cannot.  I'm sure there are a lot of different materials and configurations
of prosthesis.

  I have regular feeling in the eyelid.  I could feel where the makeup was
going on if I chose to use it.  I do know how to apply make up and have
helped other blind women learn.  However I choose not to wear it.

It really has nothing to do with me being blind.  I think I am beautiful
without make up.  I see no reason to subscribe to some societal pressure
that I don't agree with.

HTH
Julie