[Blindtlk] Signing Your Name.

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at usfamily.net
Fri Apr 15 17:21:07 UTC 2011

Speaking from a just-turned-adult's perspective, I've not yet had
any issue signing any legal release forms or documents.  My
signature doesn't look great (I learned it in kindergartten and
it hasn't been refined) it's always been taken.  I would consult
some other attorneys.  From what's been said here, you can
probably get a legal statement describing your signature.

acceptable, and
>that I had to sign (Robert James Sandefur JR) However, I was only
taught how
>to sign (RJ) and was told this was legally sufficient.  I was
taught this by
>my vision teacher.  Who is right in this situation? The attorney,
or my
>vision teacher? Sincerely, RJ

independently.  It
>> will given time, rub off on him.

>> David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.

(It's
>>> debatable
>>> whether my signature is legible.)  Anyway, last year the IRS
sent the
>>> return
>>> back saying the "spouse's signature is not authentic".  The IRS
accepted
>>> mine but not his.  He refuses to use one of those signature
guides or
>>> anything else like that.  He writes at an angle and the letters
overlap.
>>> He
>>> says he shouldn't have to know how to sign his name.  I
disagree.  Every
>>> year at tax time we argue about this because he feels, being
blind, he
>>> shouldn't be expected to know how to make a legible signature.
I argue
>>> that, since the majority of people working for the government
are sighted
>>> and the signature is your verification, you need to sign
government
>>> documents.

>>>            I guess my question is two-fold:

>>> 1.  Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to convincing
him that
>>> he
>>> needs to make a signature?

>>> 2.  Has anyone else had a document returned, when a blind person
signed
>>> it
>>> and the government refused to accept the signature?

>>>            Last near, I took the think to Sen.  Harkin's office
and
>>> explained the problem.  I signed release, they took over and
sent the
>>> return
>>> to the IRS, and I never heard another word till our refund check
came.

>>>            Thanks for your input.

>>> Sincerely,

>>> Mary L.  McGee

>>> NOTICE:  This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
Electronic
>>> Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.  Sections 2510-2521, is
confidential
>>> and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient,
>>> you
>>> are hereby notified that any tetention, dissemination,
distribution, or
>>> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please
reply to
>>> the
>>> sender that you have received the message in error, then delete.
Thank
>>> you.

info for
>>> blindtlk: