[Blindtlk] Fidelco Guide Dogs: Dreams of IndependentTravel Become Nightmares of Sorrow

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 17 21:31:08 UTC 2011

Dear R.J.,
The questions you are asking are mostly unknown at this point as the school
has not been forthcoming with answers to those questions.  What was it that
she did wrong?  Why did they take the dog?  We don't know and they will not
answer.
As for Southeast, I have had my dog Jack for a year and a half and any time
I have called the school, with an issue or a question, they have answered
and they have had a trainer come to my home twice just to see me and my dog.
All my issues were very minor ones and we have them straightened out.
  I had a common issue called "fence biting."  This is where the dog barks
or trys to get through a fence to get out or at another animal on the other
side.  The instructor told me what to do and we fixed it by giving Jack a
strong leash corrections , along with the word "NO," when he would do this
behavior.    The other issue was with overhanging tree branches in front of
a house on my block.  We let him lead me into the branches, then gave him a
sharp leash corrections yelling "NO" and grapping the branches to show him
what he did wrong.  We then backed up a few yards and approached the
branches again and he stopped to signal me that there was something in the
way as he is suppose to do.  I praised him and told him he was a good dog.
I had some questions about my dog and his interaction with the 3 other dog
pets I have, one of which is a male pit bull.  They told me how to introduce
Jack to my other 3 dogs and it worked to.
Jack and Buddy are the best of friends and buddy waits faithfully every day
for Jack and me to get home from work so they can play.
Jack and I commute some 43 miles, one-way each day from work.  Jack is great
and I love him to death.
You can not expect to have a perfect , problem free experience.  They can
not fix everything before you go home with your dog.  You have to do some of
the adjusting after you get home.

If you want to get a guide dog, consider Southeast Guide Dogs.
I know 8 other people in my area who have dogs from Southeast.
You need to have good cane skills to attend most any guide dog school worth
it's salt.
A dog is not the answer to every mobility problem.  The methods are
different from one to the other.  There are some advantaged to each as well
as drawbacks.  You need to figure out what is best for you and your
situation.
I was a cane user for over 20 years before I got a dog.  If I could still
see a little, instead of being total now, I likely would still be just using
a cane to get around, even though I love my guide dog Jack.
I do not take Jack with me every where and still use my cane to get around
from time to time.  I do not want my cane skills to go bad from disuse.
Jack can help me do things that I was having trouble with as I lost all of
my remaining vision.  He is trained to find and recognize things like doors,
elevators, escalators, curbs cuts, steps and stairs, he can find me a seat
or chair, a table or counter, the sink, stall or urinal and other landmarks.
He knows over 40 commands and is a great companion as I travel.  If I have a
stressful day, he knows and understands and makes me feel better.  Petting
him really does lower my blood pressure.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.