[Blindtlk] How do you use crutches?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 02:13:50 UTC 2011

Chasity,

for getting up from a chair I try to use the chair arms or the top of
something sturdy nearby to balance myself as I stand.  I feel really off
balance if I have to use the crutches to help me up out of a chair.

I broke my foot because I stepped in front of my guide dog.  Stupid, I
know.  He stopped and wouldn't go forward when I told him to and because
I was hot, tired, hungry and impatient I stepped down what I thought was
going to be a typical curb.  Instead it was about knee high.  I broke my
heel bone pretty badly and it didn't heal right.  So I had to have
surgery where they broke it again, lined it up correctly, reshaped it
and put in a plate and screws so it will stay put.  I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that it heals up well.

Can you rent one of the scooter thingys?  The physical therapist had me
check it out at the hospital, but I went with the walker instead. The
scooter looked like it would be comfortable and work well, especially
outdoors.  I thought it would be hard to use at home to get through
doors and the like though.

I hope you heal quickly and are able to get back to your normal routine
very soon!
Julie