[Blindtlk] How do you use crutches?

Tatyana tagriru at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 02:26:42 UTC 2011

Hi,
some time ago I broke my leg badly and got to emergency room. They did x-ray
and  gave me crutches. I was taught there how to use them. Both crutches go
first and than good leg follows. Bad leg just hangs freely. Crutches may be
adjusted to your height.   After a surgery I had bad pain, stayed at home
in a bed. But in few days I tried to slide step by step sitting  down on
stairs from second to first floor. But I needed to be very careful. I slid
down my crutches along me.  I even cooked. It was hard. I sat on a chair and
put my leg on a trash bin. Leg was swollen and hurt so you couldn't keep it
vertically. I needed to be very organized-  I put all I need near me so I
didn't need to stand up often, and than I pilled potatoes for example. In
standing position I put my weight on healthy leg. Healthy leg also had
cramps because of constant additional weight. I sometimes hop      setting
my weight against counter tops.  There is a trick- put  a thick  bottom shoe
on a good foot so your other,  an injured leg would be less stressed and
tensed.  Outside, I kinda walk/ hop on my crutches around our building.
Sometime I put  a plastic bag on my bad leg foot- I couldn't put a normal
shoe on. In six weeks or so I was allowed to put weight on my broken leg. I
was surprised- I couldn't do it. The leg was so weak so it like just broke
under me. Also a quadriceps muscle was very thin. Now it's absolutely fine.

Tatyana.