[Blindtlk] How do you use crutches?

Rex Leslie Howard, Jr. rex at littlelaw.com
Wed Aug 31 16:26:18 UTC 2011

It is interesting that no one was "legally permitted" to show you how to use
crutches. When I broke my leg the first time, at age 9, they had a little
place set up with a long bar on each side of me. They taught me how to put
my weight on my hands and move forward. You generally lift your entire body
off the ground, supporting your weight on your hands which hold on to the
hand bar of the crutches.

I think it's kind of hard to explain how to use crutches in writing but I
think you have gotten some pretty good tips.

When you turn, especially in tight places, you make sure your crutches are
firmly planted and then you lift your body and then use your arms to turn
the crutches. I guess pivot would be a better word to use here. When it's
not a tight turn, you swing your crutches to the left or right depending on
what direction you are turning.

I don't know if I would understand what I am saying if I had not used
crutches twice in my life.

It's really something that someone should show you and then there is the
skill you will develop with experience.