[Blindtlk] Fw: [Nfbf-l] Erik Weihenmeyer on ExpeditionImpossible

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Aug 31 21:13:02 UTC 2011

Brian,

It is very difficult, in my opinion, to accurately make the comparisons you are making.  We have two basic problems confronting us.  Blind people need to
get decent training, and the view of blindness held by the public has to change.  We need to try to make both happen.  To put all of our money into
assisting with training, especially when some of that responsibility is legally the responsibility of the rehabilitation establishment, would also be putting our
eggs in one basket as you stated in another note.  Besides, we do a lot to get blind people training by supporting our centers and by our advocacy work.
Certainly I would like to have seen a closer partnership develop between the NFB and Wahenmeier, but I still expect that his efforts and the showings of the
films that have been created have likely changed the way many think of blindness in a way that isn't achieved through talk. No investments are certain.
We put a lot of money into scholarships, but not every scholarship winner becomes a member or is even successful as a blind person.  Still, it is a good thing
to do.

It would be easy to make all the right decisions if we could make a decision, see how it works out, and then rewind time and try another decision, but things
just don't work that way.  Even so, I think that he and we have both gotten a good deal out of our sponsoring him.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson