[Blindtlk] A Cane for the Blind Improves Social Interactions.

Gloria Whipple ladygloria at webband.com
Sat Dec 3 02:06:02 UTC 2011

I know I wouldn't want it.

Gloria Whipple
Corresponding Secretary
Inland Empire chapter
nfb of WA

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Cindy Handel
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 17:18
To: Blind Talk
Subject: [Blindtlk] A Cane for the Blind Improves Social Interactions.

The first question which came to mind, while reading the beginning of this
article was, if the blind person needs this cane to let them know when their

friend is standing right next to them, at the bus stop, then maybe the
friendship needs some work, because the friend didn't say hello.  Then, what

if the friend doesn't check in to a social networking site or 4-Square
everywhere he/she goes?  The blind person will still not know the friend is
there.

I hope this cane is very good, because the user will be distracted by the
ear piece in his/her ear, which will take away from traffic sounds or other
audible cues.

Finally, this student is probably very well intentioned.  But, I wonder how
many blind people she has talked with about her project.  She said:  "I took

the approach to serve their emotional needs more than just their
physical needs," and
"Their social life is dependent on the people around them. They cannot say
hi to a friend without the friend saying hi first,"  If the friend is
talking with someone, a blind person could walk up and say hi.

It doesn't really seem like a strong enough reason for me to spend thousands

on a cane so I know if a friend is possibly in the area.

Cindy
--

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths

straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6