[Blindtlk] fw: MIRA Foundation

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 12 12:52:49 UTC 2011

Peter,
    I agree with you that Dining in the Dark events could be used to help
the public better understand the capacity of the blind if conducted
correctly. by this, I mean that teaching others how we function as blind
people by training them in the use of alternative techniques could further
our goals. The challenge, however, is that most organizations conducting
these sorts of fund raisers are more interested in fund raising than
education. More funds can be raised by giving the false impression that the
simulated experience of blinded sighted people is the experience of the
blind. From this standpoint, these organizations play upon the pity of those
who participate and find the experience difficult or impossible, telling
them that the services of the beneficiary of the fund raiser can help
improve the lot of the blind.
    The reality of what they tend to do is further the misconception that
the blind cannot even perform the most basic of daily activities, like
eating, with out the professional help they offer. Many of those who attend
such events are in a position to make a real difference in the lives of the
blind by providing gainful employment; however, if the blind have difficulty
eating, how can they perform the jobs they offer?

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala