[Blindtlk] NFB Blood Drive

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 17 22:12:15 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

place at a recent national convention in Louisville I was told that the
reason why this activity has not been repeated was due to "Too many
liabilities." Churches, places of employment, colleges, universities, the
military, and a host of other agencies and organizations hold successful
blood drives with little or no concerns over liability. Countless lives are
saved by those who donate blood when these drives are conducted by these
entities so what's the big deal?It was Dr. Jernigan who in an article called
"Local Organizations of the Blind, How to Build and Strengthin Them"
suggested that affiliate blood banks could be established and that we could
hold blood drives. If other entities can conduct successful blood drives
perhaps we should revisit this idea and conduct future blood drives like the
one in Louisville. Perhaps Mary was able to help save someone's life, or
allow someone needing surgery in which the patient would need blood during
the operation to have the surgery. I believe further explaination is in
order.

Peter Donahue