[Blindtlk] Making our home comfortable for sighted folks

Gloria Whipple ladygloria at webband.com
Mon Dec 19 04:22:31 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

I agree with you!

Gloria Whipple
Corresponding Secretary
Inland Empire chapter
nfb of WA

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Freeman
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 20:10
To: 'Blind Talk Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Making our home comfortable for sighted folks

Frankly, there's no one right answer that suits everyone.

Can't we get off this thread as there's really not much one can
intelligently say about it? Some people like to do what they think makes
their houses pretty for the sighted. Some people don't give a rip. In other
words, blind people are unique just like sighted people.

Everyone agrees we should dress properly in public, know and practice the
social graces and know enough things (like the color of an apple on average)
to make our way in the sighted world. If we own homes, it's probably a good
idea to keep the home neat, especially on the outside, as sighted people
(both our neighbors and those just passing by) will look at it and,
especially if they know we are blind, will make judgments about us because
of it.

But how we arrange our homes is our business. Some people like knicknakcs;
others do not. Some like pictures; others do not. Funny: I didn't mention
blindness there! Do you suppose that we might conclude we're like everyone
else -- part of the Federation mantra -- and get on to something else?

Mike Freeman