[Blindtlk] To Cane or Not To Cane?

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 27 22:16:19 UTC 2011

Jessica,
    when I was dating my ex-wife who is sighted, she would always encourage
me to put my cane away when we were together and just hold her hand. One day
we were walking through the mall and she turned to look at something. Just
as she did, she ran me into one of those metal signs a business had parked
in the walkway. It fell to the ground with a crash that was probably heard
from one end of the mall to the other. "That's why I use my cane!" I told
her as I took it out of my pocket and unfolded it. She never complained
about me using my cane after that.
    I would still hold her hand and she would give me direction through our
hand-holding but I used my cane in conjunction with her sighted guide. Still
today, whenever I use sighted guide, I always use my cane too!

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala