[Blindtlk] Do high partials (legally blind) use a cane?

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:20:26 UTC 2011

Hello Mari:

Cheryl Echevarria here, yes I use a cane and guide dog.

I still have some vision in the right eye, not as well as you, but when I first started losing my vision in 2002 from diabetes, I was mostly blurred where glasses couldn't help any longer, and no depth perception, I kept tripping over my own 2 feet.

I used a cane, I even gotten help from the Commission for the Blind here in NY.  I was to sick at the time to continue my training again until 2005 when I had a kidney transplant.

I lost all the vision in my left eye, and I still have blurred vision I can see color, shapes, people, but cannot read without my magnification glasses and zoomtext part of the day and then I switch over to Windoweyes.

People say, oh she is just faking it or she is not blind, and then I go into my NFB mode, and say there are many different forms of blindness out there, and not everyone is total, with my diabetes I might wake up one day, and not see anything.

I tell the person who says this to me, here is what I see close your left eye, look through a telescope with your right and don't focus it, that is what I see.

I have my guide dog Maxx and I use a cane as well.

Cheryl Echevarria
CD-10646
http://www.Echevarriatravel.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.com/>
1-866-580-5574 or 631-456-5394
reservations at echevarriatravel.com<mailto:reservations at echevarriatravel.com>

Member of NACTA.com
Member of ASTA.org

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Superior Travel
Affiliated as an Independent Contract with Absolute Cruise and Travel Inc.