[Blindtlk] where to place straight cane in crowded places

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 00:44:46 UTC 2011

The short answer is that you put it wherever you can.

I won’t go over all the great ideas others have, but I’ll add that I
typically pay close attention to where I am in an establishment.  I
pay attention to what’s around me—people, walls, electrical outlets,
exits, etc.  (I don’t always know where the outlets are, but the clue
is that they’re usually found along the walls!)

If I am going to be able to select where I sit, I’ll look for a place
that affords me a good place to put my cane, where I will not be in
the way of others, situate whatever things I’m carrying in such a way
that others around me could not easily pinch them out from under my
nose, etc.

A little attention to detail can sometimes make all the difference.
Might even save your life (paying attention to the people around you,
where the exits are for example.)  Figuring out where you can stick a
rigid cane when you need your hands free is a convenient side effect.

Joseph - KF7QZC