[Blindtlk] Exercise Equipment.

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:51:50 UTC 2011

Hi, All,

            Notice I just titled this "exercise equipment" because I'll not
really answer anyone's question.  What I'll do is describe my fitness
program and, if it helps anyone, well, that's great!

            First, I became 56 years old last Wednesday and, from what I
hear from other people this age, I'm in better shape than more of my
contemporaries.  If don't believe in climbing on a scale every day because
that becomes a discouraging obsession after a while.  I can tell when I'm
gaining weight or losing it by how I feel and how my clothes fit.  Perhaps I
can do this because I'm so thrifty, of, rather, cheap, that I don't throw
away wearable clothes-even the old ratty ones are saved for around home.
Anyway, I've found that a home gym is as efficient as a home office and I
don't have the expense and time involved that a regular gym requires.

            My husband also works out regularly, which means at least three
times a week.  We have free weights and a Schwinn AirDyne bicycle.  (I don't
even know if they're still made; I think now everything is the BowFlex
machine.)  It doesn't talk, so we just ride and time it ourselves.  I ride
for at least an hour until I'm tired.  My husband rides about 45 minutes.
I'm another person who's exercised for some long that I know when I hit the
target heart rate.

            If I don't ride the bicycle, I walk two miles.  I live near a
recreational trial, and there are always the sidewalks. Twelve standard city
blocks equal a mile.

            If I don't walk or ride, I do strength exercises with the free
weights.  Some weeks, between the workouts and the walking, I formally
exercise four or five days a week, depending on where I walk.  If a trip
isn't further than a mile, I walk instead of take the bus.  This works for
going to the State Law Library and state agencies.  I know the courthouse is
six blocks away, so on days I must be more than once a day, I can get the
two miles that way.  The public library is twelve blocks away and we have
our Access Advisory Board meetings there.  So, I never take the bus there.

            The walking part is easy to put into your exercise program, but
it depends on where you live and the surroundings.  I live downtown, but the
heavy traffic and the strange characters don't bother me.

            The best part of having the home gym is, when the weather is
bad, I have no excuse not to get up at 5:00 and workout so I can be ready
for work by 8:00 or shortly thereafter.

            I've gained a little weight, but I'm working to get rid of it.
I know I gained it last winter when I had a problem with degenerative disc
disease and it hurt to walk or bend.  The medical experts wanted to surgery
after they saw the MRI, but I said NO, I want to try PT first.  I did and
now my PT exercises are part of my workouts.  I haven't had any more pain!
I just need to eat less for a while, I think.

            I hope this helps.  Home gym or health club-they all have their
pros and cons.  The trick is to find something you like to do and then do it
consistently.  I know it's easy to get lazy and start skipping days, but
that's not wise.  The long-term benefits of the exercise are too good to
miss.

Sincerely,

Mary L. McGee

NOTICE:  This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any tetention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in error, then delete.  Thank you.