[Blindtlk] Independence Market at the convention

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 25 15:02:53 UTC 2011

Dear Chris,

I carry the telescoping cane for a few reasons while using my dog.
First of all, I was a cane user for over 20 years and I prefer the
telescoping cane to the folding cane or the rigid cane for its storability
when collapsed.
It is smaller but lighter in weight than the folding cane and with a "D"ring
added to the lanyard next to the end cap, it is easy to just clip in on to a
belt loop for carrying and to free up my hands.
I like it as I can open it with one hand and close it with one hand.
I have only been using my guide dog Jack for a little over a year and a half
now.
I do not take my dog everywhere with me for various reasons and do so to
both protect my dog as well as so I keep my cane skills sharp as well as I
do not have to harness up Jack just to walk down the hall to the restroom or
take some paperwork to someone's office.
The cane just hangs there, by my side, until I need it.  When walking with
Jack, he is trained to stop and show something he believes is a danger.  It
is then up to me to explore with my foot, hand or cane to discover it and
then give him an order as to what I want him to do about it.  This could be
a overhanging tree branch, a construction barrier or in one instance a hole
in the sidewalk where someone had pulled the grate off the suewer drain and
left the hole open in the middle of the sidewalk.
He is taught something called "intelligent disobedience" so that even if I
give him  a lawful order, he will not follow it.  He will stop and will not
move.  If I tell him twice to go on, He will instead move in front of me and
block my way to protect me.  My cane would never do that.
Traveling with a dog is very different than with a cane.  With a cane you
sweep and tap and make contact with objects in your way.  With a dog, the
dog leads you around those objects and you may not ever know they were even
there.
Jack is taught over 40 commands and I can teach him more as needed.  He can
identify doors, elevators, steps stairs, escalators, curbs, curb cuts, ramps
and find a chair or a seat for me.  He can be given a command to follow
someone I tell him too.  He even helps me walk a straight line which is
something I have trouble with these days as my balance is effected.
Your use of a travel tool is very personal and no matter which tool you
choose to use, it is your choice and no one else's.  As long as you get the
job done, who cares.  I do not look down my nose at anyone's choice in
methods of travel and know that each has its pros and cons, advantages and
disadvantages and you live with the choices you make.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.  "Team Evans."