[Blindtlk] This and That.

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:38:44 UTC 2011

Dear Fellow Federationists;

            I had a criminal appeal pending, then went on a little vacation,
so I haven't either read the posts or added anything for a while.  I've read
them all now and can make a few comments, for better or worse.

            An individual can be an excellent traveler with either a cane or
a dog.  Just choose your method and do your best.

            I cannot really answer the one about blind people not wanting to
"rock the boat" other than what's already been said about getting outside
the comfort zone, etc.  I CAN say that the train is common in people with
many and various disabilities and I think it stems from a lack of confidence
or fear that bad things will happen if harmony is upset.  I've never had
that problem:  I'm no doubt one of the most confrontational people alive
when I need to be.  And I'm a paid advocate in a competitive and sometimes
nasty profession.  I've had clients, e.g. people with disabilities who have
trouble with S.S.A. or the V.A. and they're afraid to do anything toward
solving their problem because they're afraid their benefits will be cut.
I've had other people say they won't take a stand because their families
won't like it and they're dependent on their relatives for transportation.

            I guess my conclusion is:  Until you have total confidence and
no fear of the unknown, you won't want to do anything too "radical".

            Now for this A.C.B. stuff.  If was in the N.F.B. back in the
day.  I knew Dr. Jernigan personally.   Yet I dropped out of the N.F.B.
years ago because of all the bickering between the A.C.B. and the N.F.B.,
even though I love the N.F.B. philosophy.  I just had better things to do
than worry about fighting back and forth.

            I though the fighting was over, so I joined the N.F.B. again and
I'm on the Board of our Chapter.  The thing I want to know is:  Why is this
person's ad worthy of a response at all?  It's like a bug that doesn't
bite-leave it alone and it'll crawl away.

Sincerely,

Mary L. McGee, Attorney

NOTICE:  This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any tetention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in error, then delete.  Thank you.