[Blindtlk] Who Bathes You?

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Mar 5 07:52:52 UTC 2011

Derrick,
Perhaps you have a point. Medical professionals may find it useful to
ask people such questions, purely for medical purposes. However,if that
were the case, I would think that the doctor would approach the matter
with a little more tact. Perhaps he'd have said something like,
"if you don't mind,I'd like to ask you a question, purely to gather
some medical insight. Do you ever require any assistance with personal
hygiene such as bathing, or are you able to do that on your own."
Perhaps if the question was posed in a tactful intelligent way, I'd be
more open to a fruitful and educational discussion.
I also agree that many people have other disabilities that do require
them to have help with bathing, but usually if a person is seeing  a
doctor, the doctor obtains the person's medical history and is familiar
enough  with them to know if blindness is their only disability. It
would probably be much more appropriate for the doctor to ask a
question like that if the patient clearly had other physical, mental,
or developmental  disabilities. But I think we all know that it does
not take a pair of functioning eyes to shampoo your hair and scrub your body.

Also, I don't think any of us condone calling someone an idiot as a
response to a question like that. But in a rant after the fact, whether
right or wrong, some explatives just slip out sometimes.

All Best,

Bernadetta