[Blindtlk] my top 10 list

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at usfamily.net
Sat Mar 5 13:01:44 UTC 2011

You hunt? Wow! I only know a couple of sighted people who do it
and I don't know if I could ever do it.  From a blind person's
perspective (hoping for no offense of course) I do wonder how you
do it.  Do you hunt alone or with others? What kind of techniques
do you use?

La Crosse
>campus back in the mid-90's, I was approached by a student who
was part of
>the Student PETA group who told me that what I was doing to my
dog was
>animal abuse and cruelty.  What was I doing...working him.
>In regards to being on our transit system, I once had someone
come up to me
>while I was sitting and they were exiting.  They took my right
hand, put
>some cash in it, and walked away and said God Bless you.  I was
really
>hoping they made it worth both my time and theirs and put a $20
bill in it
>or something/grin!  Unfortunately, the driver saw the whole
thing, and
>basically said, wow!  When I asked how much it was, he said
$1...damn!
>Sometimes, one just has to sit back and wonder in amazement what
people are
>thinking, but coming from the sighted world, it wasn't until
after I lost my
>sight that I met someone else who was blind.  Or, was it that I
just wasn't
>aware?  Now that I am in my mid-40's I just don't get to upset
about how
>society perceives me.  We as humans are curious creatures, and
the questions
>from my perspective, are not ones of idiocracy, stupidity or
otherwise, but
>just that of curiosity ranging from the medical professionals
down to little
>children.  My experience, and I can only assume that it is
similar to many
>of yours, is that the questions they are asking are not what they
are
>meaning.  For instance, when I have been asked how do you dress,
I simply,
>ask them the exact same question in response, Let's think about
this, how do
>You dress?  Then, it creates an opportunity for more educational
dialogue to
>unfold.  I tend to see that people are very cautious, somewhat
tense, and
>are uncertain when they approach as they feel that they might
offend, so
>rather than jumping on them and responding in a manner that will
leave a bad
>taste in their mouth, seize the opportunity to engage in a
conversation and
>let them know that you are no different from anyone else.
>However,  I do have to say that as a hunter I do get a lot of
questions, and
>I am quite sure, looks of amazement.  So, when I am asked how do
you hunt,
>of course the smart-ass answer is always going to be...sound
shots/grin
>followed by much laughter!  Again, it is this type of response
that creates
>the opportunity for more intense conversation to unfold, and then
I can tell
>them how I do hunt.
>While on campus, I was many times approached by students who
seemed unsure
>of themselves, and rather timid and as they would clear their
throats the
>question that so many of us get...may I ask, how did you lose
your sight?
>The best answer if you are a college student is...drinking grain
alcohol and
>masturbation of course...OMG, it would allow for that tenseness
to come to
>an immediate hault and to even build some awesome friendships
too!