[Blindtlk] my top 10 list

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Sat Mar 5 13:23:55 UTC 2011

Actually, I was very instrumental here in the State of Wisconsin, in getting
laser sight legislation passed back in 2002/2003.  I am an 11 year member
and one of 9 members appointed by the Wisconsin DNR Secretary to sit on our
DNR Disability Advisory Council which essentially advises the Department and
Natural Resources Board on how to make the outdoors more accessible to
persons with disabilities per Section 504/ADA Title II>  For large game and
turkey, this is a great device, but for game such as pheasant and waterfowl,
techniques need to be adjusted quite a bit.  I will actually be out pheasant
hunting tomorrow, and just love being out and enjoying the outdoors.
However, these birds are very difficult to hit, so they key is having a darn
good back-up shooter!  I actually was out last year and harvested a nice
rooster and a hen pheasant, and did this without guided assistance.  I look
forward to turkey hunting which will be coming up here in about a month, and
the reason is that they are very audible in the spring as the toms, or male
birds, gobble which is just an intense sound.  It sends shivers down my
spine and I actually get super-nervous...it is called buck fever which
basically means that we get very nervous when our quarry is near.  I have
been a very successful blind hunter harvesting quite a few deer, turkey,
pheasant, and even ducks, and am currently working on building up points to
go bear hunting in the next couple of years.  Notice I did not say hunting
bear!
The key to hunting with a laser sight, is having a good assistant.  The over
sholder method, which many blind hunters still use, creates an issue of
safety especially when using a high velocity rifle, or larger gage shotgun.
The laser actually creates and allows for a greater level of independence in
the woods/field.  For instance, my partner and I communicate through tactile
methods, and do not talk at all.  He is able to sit near me but not over my
sholder, give me directions to get the firearm to the point to where I
activate the laser, and then I activate it.  He then gives me directions on
getting that laser beam onto the target, and to the kill-zone.  It has been,
as you can see, very successful.
I am also hoping to get out west to do some elk hunting in the Rockies at
some point in the near future, but just being out of doors is what I yearn
for.  To me, there is just something magical about hearing a flock of geese,
hearing bluejays in the woods, wood peckers, squirrels or whatever else
nature decides to showcase that day.  I have had some awesome once in a
lifetime experiences in the woods, and just can't seem to get enough.  This
is probably why I am not married/grin!

Thanks for asking,

Steve