[Blindtlk] Cane suggestions needed please!

James Kelm jameskelm at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 06:27:38 UTC 2011

Dear friends,

    I am looking at purchasing a new spiffy hot rod car of a cane, and I am
hoping that some of the mobility experts on this list can help me select the
appropriate cane!

    I am currently using, and have been using for years, a straight folding
cane.  I do a lot of in and out of buildings, as well as a lot of traveling
within the interior of buildings.  I therefore like a cane that I can "fold"
and "unfold" quickly and easily, and that is convenient to stow away when I
am not traveling.  Because of this, a rigid cane is a big hassle for me!  I
like the folding cane, but I am considering getting a telescoping cane.  My
thought is that it will be convenient, and I tend to have a rather light
touch, so I do not need something that will withstand a lot of abuse.  I
also think that it might be a nifty little sport model, to be able to stow
away a very small cane, but quickly pull it out to its length when I need to
go.  Do any of you have suggestions, or feedback concerning the telescoping
canes?

    Secondly, I am considering the advantages/disadvantages of putting a
roller tip on the new cane.  I tend to use a constant contact mythod, rather
than a tap tap style.  Although I have not had any significant issues, I am
wondering if it would be a bit more smooth given my cane method, if my cane
had a roller tip on it.  Am I correct, or is my thinking flawed?

    Lastly, I am a statuesque 5 feet 5 inches tall.  My current folding cane
is 53 inches.  I am thinking that it is too long for me, and that my new
cane should be slightly shorter, maybe around 46 or 48 inches.  As I said,
most of my travel is done within buildings, and I find that the current
length of my cane is always getting caught in objects, or I am having to
pull it more closely into my body to allow it to be used in tighter spaces.
I often feel like either me, or my cane can fit in spaces where I am
traveling, but not both of us!  LOLL

    Thank you so much for your help!  I sincerely appreciate your guidance
and suggestions!

Your Brother in Christ,
Pastor James Kelm
Foundational Christian Family Ministry