[Blindtlk] the new canes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 22 16:28:31 UTC 2011

Dear Nikki ,

I have used both fiberglass and carbon fiber canes and I can tell you that
the fiber glass canes are very tough and are more flexible and will take a
great beating before breaking.  The Carbon fiber canes are much lighter and
stiffer and is what I use now.  They are much easier to break than the fiber
glass fiber canes, but do give a better "feel" for traveling than the fiber
glass canes.
I keep my canes that I break and use them for parts to fix others with.
There are some things to watch out for when using the telescoping canes.
First, pull the cane our and twist the sections as you give them a tug to
get the sections nice and tight.
I also catch the tip between my feet and give a upward tug on the top
section to do the same thing when my hands are full and this works well too.
I can even "whip" my cane open, with one hand, once I have the stopper loose
and it will lock the cane open too.  It may be hard to collapse the cane
later, but I deal with it then.

To collapse the cane, I place my hand over the end cap and then lift the tip
off the ground and begin a pounding motion to drive each section of the cane
straight down and to collapse within the next section until the cane is
collapsed and the stopper is firmly in the largest section of the handle.
I have found that taking a metal washer, with the same size hole as the
smallest section of the cane, and cutting it half in to with a hacksaw and
the bending the ends open so I can slip it around the small section just
above the stopper, but before the second section and then bending the washer
flat again helps to keep the second section from being driven down between
the stopper and the second section of the cane and splitting the stopper
which prevents the cane from staying closed and loses the stopper.  I also
have to sand or file the edges of the washer until it will go inside of the
largest section of the cane to get to fully close and a little glue on the
washer and stopper keeps it in place.

I hope that you can follow what I wrote and understand.
Right now I am tired and things are not making sense to me anymore.  I am
going to bed and I hope that you understand.  If not let me know.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.