[Blindtlk] Hi everyone

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Fri Mar 25 02:48:50 UTC 2011

The advantage of programs like K100 and OpenBook is that they can do things
such as read at the same time that scanning is being done.  They also add a
lot of features that have little to do with optical character recognition.

With Window-Eyes I use OmniPage 17.  It has built-in speech, but I find it
best to save its output and read it in another program such as Word.  I
don't know exact prices, but Nuance is the company that makes it, and it is
standard software for office use.  Another OCR program that gets good
reviews is Abbyy FineReader.  These programs cost in the low hundreds of
dollars instead of $1,000.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls