[Blindtlk] Paratransit vs. Fixed Route.

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Mon May 2 18:39:00 UTC 2011

Hi, All;

            I wouldn't take Paratransit for anything!  I've heard too many
bad stories about it, e.g. you don't get where you're going on time.  That's
not the reason I won't use it, however.  I don't believe blind people need
it, pure and simple.  We are physically capable of riding the fixed route
transit, even if we have to walk a ways to a bus stop.  We're capable of
using cabs or paying private drivers if we don't want to take the bus.

            I use the fixed route bus a lot.  If I have to carry things or
have to do something at a certain time, I hire a private driver.  All of the
DART busses are now wheelchair accessible, so I, in ways, don't see the
point of Paratransit anymore, unless it's for people who can't get to a
fixed route stop.

            I live in downtown Des Moines and, believe me, I've seen some
characters on and off the bus!  Now one has ever caused me a problem or put
me in fear.  I assume the "characters" exist in all cities, so I can kind of
understand the fear factor.  However, I'm willing to take the risk and deal
with anything that might arise and be able to demonstrate that I'm a
competent blind person.

            I spent over a year in Chicago and rode the fixed route transit
all the time.  I just wish Des Moines had the system Chicago had then!  I
could go wherever I wanted whenever on the CTA and never hired a driver.

Sincerely,

Mary

NOTICE:  This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any tetention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in error, then delete.  Thank you.