[Blindtlk] What is Federationism?

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:15:14 UTC 2011

I agree, Eric.  I don't understand all this political bickering
between NFB and ACB, as if one organization is working to promote
the independence of the blind and the other isn't.  In fact one
of the NFB songs tells ACB to go straight to...  well, you get
the point.  All the ACB is is another organization working for
the common good of the blind.  They may have some different
ideas, but neither is good nor bad.  I have always been kind of a
reluctant member of the Federation.  By the way, I'm an at-large
member of NFB-MD.  I completely agreed with the NFB's work for
independence, but I didn't really like the dogmatic approach some
Federationists take to issues: my way (the NFB way) is the only
way, and ACB...  well, they're just wrong.  No, no, no! For a
long time, I thought that this approach was part of the NFB
philosophy, and therefore was reluctant to really be active in
the Federation.  I didn't want to support that one-size-fits-all
view of all things blindness.  Now that I've spent much time on
the NFB site, listening to Dr.  Maurer and Dr.  Jernigan's words,
I know this is not the real NFB philosophy, but only an extreme
interpretation of it that some members take.  That's really why I
want to become more active, now that I know that by doing so, I
wouldn't also be supporting a one-size-fits-all, narrow-minded
approach to everything related to blindness.  When I joined this
list, I was a little afraid to talk about these opinions of the
NFB approach to some issues, and their arguing with the ACB and
AFB, being that this is an NFB list which supports the NFB
philosophy, which I thought might mean the list members supported
this dogmatic approach as well.  But I'm glad most of you have
open minds and feel the same as me.  Now that I've said all of
this, I wonder if this email will ever really get posted to the
list, being that we're a monitored list, monitored by the NFB
higher-ups.  So, do you approve this one...  huh, Dave? * Smile!

Chris Nusbaum

--- Sent from my Braille-Note