[Blindtlk] What is Federationism?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed May 4 19:08:32 UTC 2011

Chris, like you, I have never been that active in the Federation, but I can
tell you some things I've learned:

** If you believe in a cause, try and collaborate in others, who share
it.

** Put your money, where your mouth is.  If you don't have a Chapter in
your area, please consider joining one.  If you do not have a Chapter in
your area, please consider (1) founding one, or (2) being an at-large
member.

** Membership has its privileges.  When I joined the San Fernando Valley
Chapter, I was able to interact with other Federationists, some of whom are
close friends of mine.  My privileges were: selling cookies, going to White
Cane Safety Day functions, and acquiring a First-Timers' scholarship to the
1997 New Orleans Convention.

Finally,

** It is okay to disagree with someone, but disagree agreeably.  In my
struggles with NFB, I, myself, do agree, with the Federation on issues like
braille literacy, independence, and being an advocate for oneself.  But do
I need an NFB Training Center to further my skills?  No, I am capable with
the skills I have.

I, soon, will be an at-large member of my NFB-Calif. affiliate, sometime
as early as June or July.  Do I think Federationism is bad?  No.  Do I
think NFB and ACB can still work together?  Yes.

Eric
.. ..  Eric from Los Angeles with the baseball list: eric at pmpmail.com.
Also on Facebook