[Blindtlk] Paratransit Vs. fixed Routes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon May 9 16:26:10 UTC 2011

Dear David,

Para-transit is there mostly for those who can not  or sometimes can not use
the fixed route bus system for all of their trips.
Your use of Para-transit can be based upon your physical condition and
disability or even barriers in the environment that prevent you from being
able to  access and use the fixed route bus.
I say, that you should use the fixed route service first , if you can, but
if you can not, take the Para-transit.
Under the ADA, the Para-transit service can serve no less than 3/4 miles,
either side of a fixed bus route, as a crow flies, nor more than 1.5 miles
either side, with the support of the local government.
Most everywhere it is held to the 3/4 mile rule, but the local government
can exceed this if they want to.
Here in Palm Beach County Florida, we have a ADA "core area" that is bonded
on the east by the ocean, on the west by the Florida Turnpike, on the North
by RCA blvd and on the south by the Palm Beach/Broward County line.
There are several fixed bus routes that stick out of the west side and in
these areas we follow the 3/4 mile rule around the bus routes.
We have a core area to prevent making "islands" of isolation with in areas
that are mostly or surrounded by fixed route services.  This is caused
mostly by "walled communities" where the fixed route bus is fenced out and
the riders are fenced in with poor access to the fixed bus system.  We have
lots of these in my county and this makes using the fixed route system very
hard for many people, even the non-disabled.
Only the disable can access the Para-transit in this case.
IF there are barriers in the environment that you can not get around, such
as a major highway, a river or the lack of safe pathways for you to follow
to get there, you may be a person who needs to use the Para-transit for most
or all of your trips.
If you have a physical or medical condition that makes it very hard or
impossible to use the fixed route system then you might use the Para-transit
service instead.
You must go through a application process to get Para-transit service and
then that service can have conditions placed upon it depending on your
physical or medical conditions, your ability to access and navigate the
fixed route system and its availability in the areas you want to go to.
Conditions such as severe diabetic neuropathy, poor balance or the inability
to walk or stand for more than 30 minutes,  Certain medications that make
you vulnerable to sun or heat stroke, have  seizures or you have bad
arthritis or a heart condition.
  There is also the busy streets you can not get across to access the bus
both ways.
We are very lucky here in Palm Beach County in that our County Commissioners
have funded our service very well, but there is still lots of room for
improvement.  We also have a State of Florida program that serves Seniors,
the Disabled, Children at Risk and even the able bodied poor who do not have
a car or who can not drive.  It is called the Transportation Disadvantaged
Program and the funding comes from a $1.50 auto tag fee and goes to all 67
counties in the state.  In most areas, there are only about 13 places in the
state where there is ADA service because there is a fixed bus route system.
The TD program is the transit service of last resort.

If you want to know more, please write me back and be specific and I will
try to answer
I am able to use the Para-transit as I have medical conditions that can make
it hard or even dangerous for me to have to use the fixed route system by
itself.  I do use the fixed route service as much as I can and even teach
others how to use it, the Para-transit and the Tri-Rail system too as a
travel instructor.  I sometimes push myself and use it even when it can be
dangerous for me because I think it is important for others.
I never ask anyone to do anything that I will not do myself.

David Evans, and GD Jack
MV Transit  Consumer Advocate.