[Blindtlk] Para transit Vs. fixed Routes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu May 12 19:00:42 UTC 2011

Dear Nikke,

I too am a good traveler,  I, in fact, do some travel training for our
transit system.
If I access my local bus route from one direction, I must cross a 6 lane
highway twice and an intersecting road, of 6 lanes, to get to the bus stop.
This is the intersection of Glades Road and State Road 7 in west Boca Raton,
Florida.  There are meridians in the middle, duel left hand turn lanes at
all 4 sides and right on red lanes on all 4 corners too.
I don't like to cross there , but that is what I have to do to access the
bus.
To access the same bus route the other way, I have to walk about the same
distance and cross a 6 lane road and a 4 lane road that sits right at the
gate of a major adult community with the right on red lanes and single left
hand turn lanes.  The drivers coming out here are old, crazy, can not see or
hear, can not turn their heads or sometime even see over the dashboard and
got their license in a bingo game at the community clubhouse.
It gets very hot and humid here too.  You can get a third degree burn by
sitting on a hot metal or plastic bus bench if you are not careful.
Some of the communities are walled and the fixed route bus can not get in
and the people can not get out.  It can be a mile from the nearest building
to the gate in some of them.  You can see the evidence of their driving
habits by the number of bent bumpers, dented doors and trucks, broken
headlights and taillights and the stop sign post that are bent to 90
degrees.
They would rather blow their horn than step on the brake pedal, if they even
know where it is.
The police can not even get them a breathalyzer test , when they pull them
over, as their Assam is too bad or they pass out from the lack of oxygen.

This one of the only places I have ever lived where you could be eaten just
walking down the street or through a parking lot.
With the canals running next to many of the roads and streets, the gators
like to take advantage of any shade they can get including crawling under
stopped cars.  I saw a vw beetle walk away on the back of a 10 foot gater in
a parking lot once.

I use what transportation I need to get where I need to go and I don't look
down my nose at anyone, not even the holier than thou people with a too much
mucho complex.
 Do what you have to and what you feel is best for you and the heck with the
rest of them.  That is my advice.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack
MV Transit  Consumer Advocate