[Blindtlk] Para transit Vs. fixed Routes

Jessica Kostiw jessicac.kostiw at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:09:00 UTC 2011

Hello all,
Must chime in here.  I live in Fairfax county Virginia.  I had to laugh
while reading one of the other messages that listed D.C as one of the great
transportation places.  I believe the person was saying that someone who
lived in D.C for example wouldn't be as interested in driving because the
transportation is so good.  I live about 20 minutes from the city, do not
live on the metro line, and the nearest bus stop is at least 3 miles away.
I completely depend on family and friends.  As far as Para transportation,
Metro Access requires a week in advance notice.  I have heard they require
an hour window.  I have never used them because I have heard too many horror
stories, and now do to budget cuts I am now out of their area.  This message
is not to sit and complain, which admittedly so far that is what it sounds
like.  Instead, I am trying to illustrate how narrow of a window D.C
actually is.  I am currently in a serious relationship with a guy who owns
his own home in Fredericksburg, which is a little over an hour south of D.C.
We are seriously discussing marriage and our future.  If I could see we
would just keep the house, but since I cannot drive and there are no
transportation options what so ever in Spotsylvania county, we are forced to
sell the house and move into something smaller with no yard in the city of
Fredericksburg.  I apologize for the extreme negativity of this message,
this has just been a very hot issue.  I think it is naive to recognize how
limiting not having a car is.  To be fully mobile, it really seems like you
have to live in a city... not even in suburbs of a city.

I would love to know, where those of you who do not seem to find this a bone
of contention live.  I don't mean that question to sound rude, again I am
just frustrated.  Jon and I are willing to move, but I am just wondering.

Thanks for reading my rants.
Jessica