[Blindtlk] Paratransit Vs. fixed Routes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon May 16 14:14:41 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Age is certainly one factor that effects people and their use of Public
Transportation.
74% of
all Blind people are over the age of 65 years.  That is why some many
seniors are in our chapters and this number is growing.
We also know that people who are age 75 have at least one disability and
those over the age of 82 usually have two or more.
One of the funny things is that some people do not recognize that they have
a disability, when they do.
I do think that this is a good thing as attitude is everything and if you
think you are disabled you are more likely to think about yourself as being
disabled and less capable.
There are some people who wear their disability like a badge and want every
one around them to know it and cater to them and their problems.
There are other folks who are disabled and try to hide it or from it and do
not want to be labeled or recognized as a disabled person.
Still others are disabled but do not talk about, announce it to the World,
and quietly just do what they have to do to get along.
This is why the NFB philosophy is so important in that it teaches us to try
and think and act as if we do not have a disability, while at the same time
accepting and recognizing that we have a disability, but that it is no big
deal and that we are just as good as everyone else, just different like
there are some people who are left handed, maybe have green eyes or red
hair.
We as NFB members must not let ourselves become smug, over confident , cocky
or take on a feeling of superiority over other people like ourselves.
As NFB members we are both teachers and pupils at the same time.  We are
here to learn from others and to teach others what we have learned at the
same time.
We are all travelers along the same road.  Some of us are just at different
points along that road, but we are all trying to get to the same
destination.
We must help each other as best we can.  We will learn from and teach each
of those fellow travelers as we journey down that road.  We should treat
each one of these travelers as we would wish to be treated.  If we do this
we will help them and we will, given time change the World in the process.
My mission in life is not to judge others, but to leave this World in better
shape than I found it and I could use some help.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
MV Transit Consumer Advocate