[Blindtlk] dating seaghted people Vs. Blind people?

Nikki Wunderlich nikki0222 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:03:45 UTC 2011

That's a nice age. Like other people have said, make sure to surround her
with both blind and sighted individuals, that way she feels confortable with
both, because as an adult she will have to deal with not just people who are
blind, or people who are sighted, but both, and she needs to feel
confortable with both types of people. Also if you can expose her to other
disabilities, that would be great. The more types of people she feels
confortable with the better off she will be. I myself am the only blind
individual in my family, so I kind of feel like I'm the odd ball of the
family, or as some people say "the black sheep" of the family. Up until I
started going to the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind I had only met 1
other blind individual, and I was very young when I met her. I was only 3.
We were best friends for a while, then my family and I moved away, and I
lost contact with her for many years. Then my vision teacher knew her vision
teacher and we got back in touch. While we were out of touch, I really
missed her, and having some one know what I was going through. Infact,
almost every day I'd come home from school either crying, or I'd come home
and go to my room and cry. Then once I was done I'd do my home work. Then at
the end of sixth grade we were having my IEP Individual Education Plan
meeting when the school I was attending said that they wanted to put me in
one room all day every day except for lunch and P E with my aid. My mom, my
vision teacher, and I were all like no way. That's when my vision teacher
suggested I attend the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind, and I
experienced all different levels of vision loss from students who were
totally blind, to some who had minimal vision loss and could still read
regular print. Until I went there, I didn't know that the levels of vision
loss ranged so much. Infact, the first time I talked to some one who was
totally blind I was a little nervous, because I didn't know what to say,
Admitting that now is actually embarrassing to me because I have friends all
over the vision loss scale, and feel confortable with all of them. I also
have sighted friends, admittedly not as many though. I have more blind
friends. I am greatful for all of my friends sighted or blind. Back to the
subject about dating though. My first boy friend girl friend relationship
that actually lasted any length of time was with a visually impaired man.
And my longest relationship of that kind was with my ex-fiance Kyle, who is
completely blind.

Nikki