[Blindtlk] Identifying Clothes and organization

Chasity Jackson chasityvanda at charter.net
Sun May 29 17:25:49 UTC 2011

Hi there. I have recently done this myself. I did get some braille tags and
I labeled all the clothes I could with the Braille tags. If there were
colors the Braille tags did not include, I got some tape that goes into your
clothes and I had my very good friend and room mate Terry Braille them using
a slate and stylus. I used a safety pin to pin the tags or tape on. The tags
already have little holes where the safety pins can go, but if I used tape,
I first used a hole punch to punch a hole in the tape and then I stuck the
pin through. I tried to do it without punching a hole, but the tape was very
tough and I was afraid of sticking myself in the process of getting the pin
through. I also organized my closet by Casual shirts, dressy shirts, casual
pants, dressy pants, jackets, dresses, etc. At this store called the
Container Store, they have closet type organizers where you can do that.
When you come to one you know you're at the next section. So I used those to
divide the clothes up into categories. I put the label inside the shirt or
pants if there was a tag there. If not, I would put the label on the bottom
of the shirt, and then when you wear it, you obviously remove the label so
it isn't showing. Put it in a safe place where you know where it is and then
make sure you remember to put it back in the appropriate article of clothing
at the end of the day. Then, when you have all your clothes labeled, ask
someone whose opinion you trust to help you make a list of all the colors
that could go together in your wardrobe. You don't have to necessarily have
to say this shirt could go with these ten pairs of pants, etc. But just make
a list of colors that go together in general, so when you see two colors in
your closet, you'll know whether or not they go together. For shoes, I got
two of those back of the door shoe racks. Any store should sell them, but I
got mine at the container store. Then, there are these things from Maxi Aids
called say what. They are also used for labeling. So I got as many of those
as I thought I'd need, and then labeled them with dymo tape. So, I would
grab one of those, for example, label it brown with dymo tape, and put it in
the pocket of this shoe rack that goes on the back of my door. And obviously
I would put a pair of brown shoes or sandles in that pocket, and when I
would go to find shoes, I would know they're brown. I had a sighted person
help me with all this. It has taken hours and we're still not even
completely done. We're getting there though. I hope this helps. Please let
me know if you might have other questions.
Chasity