[Blindtlk] Tips for Better Braille Reading Speed Request Please...

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 18:54:28 UTC 2011

Do you read with one hand or two?  The two handed method is faster, but
takes some practice to make it work.  The basic idea is that the right
hand reads the right half of the line while the left reads the first
half.  When you finish the first half of the line with your left hand
and switch to the right, the left hand then goes down and finds the
beginning of the line below.

I also know people who read with more than one finger, but I couldn't
get the hang of that.

If you are reading a speech aloud, putting a blank line in between each
line of Braille may make it faster to find the next line.  At least the
extra space helps me a lot.

HTH
Julie