[Blindtlk] Tips for Better Braille Reading Speed Request Please...

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Sep 8 18:56:10 UTC 2011

Hi James. I once got up to 500 words per minute, but have slowed down. Here is what I did. Read with both hands. Start the line with the left, pick it up with the right about half way through, bring the left down to the next line, and continue. It will seem unnatural at first, but it works. Practice. Don't try to speed up all at once. Make sure the book is something you really want to read. Limit your speed work to a specific amount of time each day. Do not try to
 Identify each character. All readers get things from context.

If you are reading aloud, try not to do it cold. Read the material first. You may want to start with easy reading books.

Finally, you have to practice. Set aside a period of time each day. Use that time to practice for speed. Good luck.