[Blindtlk] Refusal To Use A Cane

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Mon Dec 17 03:30:32 UTC 2012

I was attending the 1993 National Convention when Dr. Jernigan delivered
that speech.  I think it was well thought out.  One of the things he pointed
out is that whether you use a human sighted guide or a cane in the long run
by itself is not the issue.  The issue is that you understand that you have
choices and you understand why you are using a particular method of
mobility.  For example, is it really better to walk into a crowded
restaurant by yourself and having a sighted person you want to eat with
screaming at you "over here, over here," while you are trying to hear them
above the tumult of the dinner crowd, or is it really more independent to
take that person's arm in that situation and move safely to your table?
These are things, I believe, for all of us to consider mas we continue on
our journey.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.