[Blindtlk] REDBOX DISCRIMINATES AGAINST THE BLIND BY FAILINGTOPROVIDE ACCESSIBLE SELF-SERVICE KIOSKS

Ray Foret Jr rforetjr at att.net
Mon Jan 16 04:19:33 UTC 2012

Proud and egotystical?  Sir, how absolutely wrong you are.  Yes, some individual blind people are as you describe; and, there was a time, to speak frankly, when I was one of them.  Those days have left me now.

	Having said that, let me speak directly and frankly to you.  I wish somebody had hit me over the head with this back in my days as a student at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  Understand me well.  WE, DO, NOT, FAKE, INDEPENDANCE!  We do not say we never need help.  IT, HAS, NEVER, BEEN, a teaching of The National Federation OF The Blind that independant blind people never need help.  If that is what you think of the federation, you do not know even a tiny fraction of what you imagine you know.  Let me repeat myself.  It is not, nor has it ever been a teaching of the National Federation of the Blind that no independant blind person ever needs help.  Here's something else.  "There is no such thing as a “moddel blind person”."!!!  People such as yourself who either badly understand the federation or perhaps do not understand this at all often have this crazy twisted idea in their heads that we hold up a particular model blind person and every single blind person who aspires to true independance had better live up day in and day out and night in and night out to that model.  Not all of us march to the same drum.

Okay.  You want me to personalize it?  Fine.  I will.  It's the middle of winter here, but I'm going to do this anyhow.
	As everybody on this list knows, I just happen to be a blind person who very much enjoys going barefooted, (both inside all the time and outside in warm weather when possible).  Now, Does every blind person I know do that?  Nope.  Some do, some do not.  IF any of us do, it's either to one degree or another.  With me, it's every single moment I can get away with it.  Others doubtless will do it but will be more reserved and perhaps not openly even say so.  Still others just will lain not do it at all, no matter the season.  Strange way to give an example I know.  But, I think even you should be able to see that there is no hard or fast rule that says every blind person must or must not go barefooted.

Now, I have an aversion to whering ties.  I will when the ocasion demands it; rare indeed for me.  Other blind people, however, do love them and, when in their professions, will thus atire themselves and do so without so much as a second thought; even as I myself did back in my boyhood days at the school for the blind in England.  Back in those days, I could tie a tie perfectly every single time and in no time more than half a second or so.  Give me a tie nowadays and I'm likely more than not to thumble wiht the blasted thing and in the end, it will all come undone or look a sorry mess.

	Okay.  My point is just this.  The federation does not dictate the actual lives of any of it's members.  We follow the federation because we freely choose to do so.  Another reason is that, while the federation may not be perfect, it does best represent the feelings we here have as blind people about how this or that really ought to be done.  That's why we all help when we're able.

begining to get the picture now?

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!

Now a very proud and happy Mac user!!!