[Blindtlk] why is it important to join an organizationofthe blind?

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jan 19 03:59:33 UTC 2012

Debbie:

I'm not Bryan, but ...

I am concerned that any time anyone expresses skepticism re the
blind-drivable car, he/she is automatically accused of not having faith, of
not being visionary, of not daring to dream, etc. Well, just as there are
plenty of humanists and atheists who are good peple and who have contributed
much to this country (the protests of the religious to the contrary
notwithstanding), there are many skeptics (including me) who are loyal
Federationists but who at the very least think that in our enthusiasm for
the blind-drivable car, we are foolishly minimizing the difficulties (most
but not all of which are social/legal rather than technical). We shouldn't
be accused of lack of orthodoxy or disloyalty simply because we choose to
see the cup as half-empty rather than half-full.

Although I remain skeptical that the blind-drivable car will come to
fruition in my lifetime (I'm ... lessee ... 63), I think the research may
have many other benefits and ... I could be wrong. But I think we, the NFB,
aren't putting *nearly* the resources and thought into other aspects of the
problem such as legal and social impediments to blind-drivable cars that we
should be doing. To me, that's not nay-saying; that's common sense. And we
haven't even considered the problem of what we are to do when we reach our
destinations, still ignorant im many cases of the environment we will face.

Part of my difficulty is that, even in the realm of science fiction, I
expect the universe to be logically worked-out so that there are no logical
inconsistencies and such that everything implies or can be extrapolated from
everything else. I think we should plan foreign policy, domestic policy and
everything else with this consistency in mind. I fear me greatly that we of
NFB aren't doing this wrt the blind-drivable car.

Bottom line: we need both optimists and dreamers and pessimists that say:
"hey! Wait a minute!" in order to craft the wisest policies.

What would I do differently? Not much. But I think we're going to have to
put *far* more effort into making software and devices than our leadership
and most of the membership believes. We're beginning to discuss this on the
Computer Science list and in the R&D Committee.

In summation, I think we should proceed full speed ahead. But I think we
should have a very clear-eyed, gloss-over-nothing view of what we're
tackling.

Mike