[Blindtlk] why is it important to join an organizationofthe blind?

Ray Foret Jr rforetjr at att.net
Thu Jan 19 05:03:11 UTC 2012

Well, Mike, once again, you and I agree completely.  Look, I'm all for the blind drivable car; however, I question the direction we seem to be taking with it.  I'm not saying don't rely on the technology; but, we need to seriously ask ourselves this.  What will we do when (not if mind you but when) the technology fails?  I'm not going to name names here; but, once I asked this question and got all but accused of being a trator.  No, please don't ask me to tell who it was; for if so, I shan't.

I feel that we need to take a different approach with this.  I'd like to see a solution that doesn't rely so much on the technology.  As I view the picture, it's not the technology which will allow a lbind person to drive.  It's a matter of getting information.  So, these are the points from which I would start.

1.  How much information is so much information that a quick decition cannot be made while driving?

2.  How little information is too little to make a quick decition while driving?

3.  How can the right ammount of information be aquired and how can it be done as simply as possible?  I fear that too much reliance on the technology alone will truly set back the goal of a blind person driving.  In short, do not rely only on the technology.  Find better alternative ways of getting the information you need.

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!

Now a very proud and happy Mac user!!!

Skype name: