[Blindtlk] why is it important tojoinanorganization ofthe blind?

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 22 21:49:45 UTC 2012

Dear Mike,

The vehicles are already here.
I have seen the ARMY 2.5 ton truck driving around the test track being
guided by its sensors and computer programming and dodging human beings that
would dart out on to the track to test the sensors.
The military does not tell the Public everything it is doing and what it
plans to do or even what it has available even when it already has it.
I worked on the F-117 Stealth Fighter program, back in the early 70's, and
the darn thing was flying for almost 15 years before the Public was told
about it.
The military needs such vehicles to replace humans in the very dangerous
missions of resupply.
Instead of 30 ARMY truck drivers possibly being killed or captured, these
vehicles will be able to operate independently or with very limited human
supervision on the road.
The mission is to save lives and to get the materials where they need to go.
Like all things the military has, there will be spin offs and personnel
trained to fix them and operate them.
Given time, this technology will trickle down to the Public and even the
Blind at some point.
Not many people ever heard of G.P.S. before the First Gulf War.  So many
military personnel were exposed to it, that were week en pilots, sailors and
off-roaders, that there was a instant demand for the technology for Private
use after the war.
This lead to an upsurge in the knowledge and use of G.P.S. navigation
equipment and the pressure for the military to allow greater accuracy.
The military did not want to do it, but the cat was out of the bag and the
demand won out.
I think we will see that same happen here.
By the way I saw that 2.5 ton truck performing its tricks some 8 years ago.
I bet they have moved on from there.  We will see.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack..