[Blindtlk] what qualifies as blind in terms of seeking president or VP?

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 02:38:32 UTC 2012

Hi Sherri,

I checked our national Constitution, and while it is not entirely clear on
this (maybe it could be added as an amendment at some time,) this is what it
says in Article III, Section C about state affiliates and chapters being
organizations of the blind:

Section C. State affiliates shall be organizations of the blind controlled
by the blind. No organization shall be recognized as an "organization of the
blind controlled by the blind" unless at least a majority of its voting
members and a majority of the voting members of each of its local chapters
are blind.

I would agree with what others have said; that is, if a person fits the
legal definision of blindness, he/she is qualified to hold office in the
Federation at the local, state, or national level. You might want to check
with your chapter's President or the President of your state affiliate, as
they might have more information than I could find on the NFB Web site. If
she's legally blind, she should be able to run for President or VP. I guess
it would also help if she fit Dr. Jernigan's definision of blindness,
although it isn't required. <Smile!> Also, if she has held other chapter
offices, she should be able to run for President, as both the national
Constitution and the model chapter Constitution say that a majority of the
officers must be blind.

Hope this helps,

Chris