[Blindtlk] a question about science and tutoring

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Mar 8 05:22:59 UTC 2012

Raised diagrams can be a great help. The trick is to get the teacher or
other person drawing the diagram to not put too much information on each
diagram, i.e., to simplify the diagram to the essence of what one is trying
to convey. Also, it helps if the teacher works with you as you touch the
diagrams, pointing out to you what you should be looking at.

Block or line diagrams are best; although some (notably Dr. Nemeth) disagree
with me, I maintain that perspective drawing does not lend itself to being
touched with much comprehension.

Another trick is to make three-dimensional models out of modeling or plastic
clay or to construct the diagram out of pipe cleaners and/or wiki stikcs.

Perhaps you could get your dad to help you by drawing some of the diagrams
and working with you to decipher them. Reading diagrams by touch is a skill
that definitely can be learned.

Have you looked at many raised maps? They can also hone your skill for
reading diagrams.

Mike