[Blindtlk] Extreme photophobia/blindness only in light?

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 16:47:17 UTC 2012

Hello Rene and everyone,

    The situation you describe matches the gentleman Dr. Jernigan describes
in his article "A Definition of Blindness."He told a group of high school
students of an individual who had severe headaches and eye pain when he
ventured in to bright light and had to walk around with his eyes closed.
Like this individual that man's quality of life was adversely effected.
Although he couldn't be classified as legally blind he was considered
functionally blind due to his  need to use alternative techniques to
maintain his independence and maintain his quality of life. I'm guessing
that he learned Braille, learned to travel with a white cane during the
daylight hours, and learned many other blindness skills to allow him go
function normally during daylight hours. You might want to give this family
a copy of that article or send him the URL so they can read or listen to it
themselves. He'll know that he's not alone and that there's value in
networking with other blind persons who can offer assistance. Hope this
helps.

Peter Donahue