[Blindtlk] Fw: Mass. school electrocutes blind girl

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon May 28 17:48:42 UTC 2012

Chris:

To this point, I have been relatively mild in my comments. However, I truly feel that this nonsense -- yes, nonsense -- has gone on long enough.

First, no one has been "electrocuted". Were this the case, we'd have *murder* cases on our hands. Electrocution is what is done in the electric chair. Let's please be precise in our thinking, writing and speaking and avoid deliberately inflammatory language.

Second, note that the only date mentioned below is 2002. That's a decade ago. Even assuming crimes were committed, that goes beyond most statutes of limitations except for the most horrendous of crimes and even then only by dint of specific laws having been passed.

Third, at least insofar as Washington state is concerned (and I've missed any posts that may have alleged immoral conduct going on here), no one has asked the NFB of Washington for assistance, either anonymously or by name. and we make it a policy *never* to act upon anonymous complaints. If people don't have the guts to give us their names, to stand up and be counted, it's difficult to see why we should take them seriously. I think you'll find this is a national policy of NFB -- even if only an unwritten one. It is passing surprising how many people shut up when they realize they can't just throw brickbats anonymously and get the "big bad NFB" to do what they are unwilling to do themselves and attack their favorite target or pet peeve. I know this much: we're pretty familiar with the blindness-related agencies in our state and neither we nor the Washington Council of the Blind have heard any allegations of mistreatment of students or of misconduct. In fact, it is a policy of the Washington State School for the Blind that Child Protective Services be called *before* other School personnel if there's even a hint of misconduct.

Fourth, this matter is only peripherally concerned with blindness. The reason we of NFB get things done is that we stick to the central issue of blindness. Of the many cases that have been cited here (including Jennifer Driggers), almost, if not all, took place at schools for the blind. I'm not condoning the alleged activity. I'm merely stating that aside from concerns about humanity, any involvement NFB might have would be tangential at best.

Fifth, while the Braille Monitor often does investigative reporting, said investigations generally stick to blindness agencies. We haven't the time or money to save the entire world. There's enough mangy behavior in the blindness field (though much less than in the past) to keep us occupied for quite some time.

Finally, while I recognize and deem healthy the emotional catharsis that is taking place here (I went to a school for the blind for some time in the "bad old days" also), I think we've about beaten this thread to death and unless and until we get specific complaints with sources, names, dates, allegations and remedies sought, I believe it's about time we let this thread die a quick and unnatural death. There's very little that's "actionable" here. Let's get on with building the future!

Mike Freeman, member
Board of Directors
National Federation of the Blind