[Blindtlk] devices RE: introduction

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 9 03:02:17 UTC 2012

the vOICe is not really a device, but it uses devices you may already have.
If you have a webcam connected to your PC, or if you have it look at your
screen or the active window or the area around the mouse pointer, it
converts the image into a "soundscape" which is an audio signal, rescanned
every two seconds, which represents the image.  Probably best used with
stereo headphones.  In this representation, an imaginary vertical line scans
across the image from left to right.  At each instant, tones are generated
with highest pitch being toward the top of the image, and with volume of
each pitch corresponding to the brightness of the image at that point.  By
default, 64 different frequencies are generated, and 176 vertical lines
constitute a two-second scan.  A single vertical line would sound like a
burst of noise.  A horizontal line sounds like a tone of constant pitch
which lasts the whole 2 seconds, which pans from left to right in your
headphones.  A print capital V would sound like a tone which falls and then
rises in pitch, repeated every two seconds.  You can adjust most of the
parameters of how the image is sonified, including zooming it, changing the
scan rate, reversing the video, filtering by one color, etc.

It's a small Windows executable.  People who really get into this obtain a
webcam that is built into a pair of glasses, put a portable computer in a
backpack (providing for enough ventilation), run the software with speech
recognition, and walk around the house or the area learning how to
distinguish objects, learning about how occlusion and parallax work, etc.

Whereas the Optacon was a direct translation aid (the human has to do all
the work of interpreting what the camera sees) for printed material, the
vOICe is probably most useful as a direct translation aid for sensing the
environment or quick rendering of images that appear on a PC.  Like the
Optacon, it takes lots and lots of practice to get good at using it, and it
remains mostly a subject for experimentation rather than a tool that a lot
of blind people are using in their daily lives.  It would not be a good
travel aid, in my opinion, because you need to hear environmental sounds and
the time to recognize a scene is long.  And Peter Meijer, the author, is
careful not to make any claims that it would be a good substitute for a cane
or guide dog.  The first version, run in dedicated hardware, is now 20 years
old.  I think that the Windows executable is about 15 years old (undergoes
continuous improvements).  An Android  version
has been in Google Play for about 2 years.  He also did one for Simbian cell
phones, but these are disappearing from the market.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but I think it is
fascinating.  www.seeingwithsound.com .
Lloyd Rasmussen, Wheaton, MD, W3IUU