[Blindtlk] To move or not to move

Jessica Kostiw jessicac.kostiw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 19:24:04 UTC 2013

To fully answer your question, I think it is important to examine the centers reasoning on why it is important for someone to move away after graduation. One becomes very comfortable in a town after 6 to 9 months. This means both travel and in social situations i.e. the centers themselves. In a nutshell, the centers many times have to deal with people who do not move on emotionally from a center and stay in the same town. These people are often seen coming about the center. The reasoning is, you got the training, you got the confidence, go out and use it. Training is basically 6 to 9 months of teaching you how to deal with getting out of your comfort zone; by the time you were up for graduation you are completely in your comfort zone So basically, in order to actually put the training to use, you need to get out of your comfort zone to improve your skills on your own. Otherwise, what was the point of the whole thing? If you don't use it, you will lose it!

I think almost a bigger reason though, deals with the social aspects. As I mentioned before, there are those who graduate and continue to just hang around the center. At least in Louisiana, the center culture is very close and very difficult to get out of. It is a small town, and basically a set group of friends that are easy to make because you have a lot in common. So the bottom line, yes you can live in the same town as a center. You just need to prove to the center, that you will go out on your own into the community and not be dependent on the center its self. You will not be one of those people that hang around during school hours just being disruptive. Go out and join church, a book club, be active in the community. In Roston it is very possible to not interact with the center at all. Justin is a small town, think about what it would be like in Minneapolis or Denver… Even more possible.
Good luck in your decision! I hope I helped

Jessica
PS sorry for the typos, I'm using Siri. Wanted to write a quick long email.

Sent from my iPhone