[Blindtlk] iPads and tablets best for the blind/VI

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Dec 3 02:16:49 UTC 2013

Voice Over is the same on all the i devices.  There are updates that are nice in later versions.  So if you get the original iPad, it's doubtful you could get the latest VO updates or ios and you are probably going to have troubles with aps not being compatable with the older ios version.  With that said any of the recent iPads or iPods should be fine.

Two things to consider...first do you want to be able to use the internet wherever you go?  That requires a data plan and a compatable iPad.  If you know you'll only use wifi, then it makes no difference.

The second thing to consider is the screen size.  The only thing that I can figure out makes a difference for screen size is strictly visual needs.  If you are going to use a magnifier ap or the built in Zoom, then a bigger screen makes sense.  Also if you are going to be using it for some work or college coursework that might involve sighted people looking at the screen for some reason, the larger size might be nice.  I do sometimes use my iPad with small groups to show a short video or something.  Don't know if that might be a consideration for you or not, so I'm tossing it as food for thought.
If you think you might use the magnifier aps, then I'd suggest going to look at the various options at an Apple store if you are near one.  Vision is such a personal thing, I think the only way to know which size screen is to just go and look at them.

HTH
Julie

Sent from my iPad