[Blindtlk] Hiring a Driver

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Mon Dec 9 20:19:07 UTC 2013

I usually refrain from taking sides but as a trained social worker I have to
agree with Dave.  The rest of the world doesn't know you exist and they
won't come to you so you have to make an effort.  I was raised in a town of
just over 10,000 which was the county seat.  There was no transit available
at all.  You either waked, rode with  family or a friend, neighbor etc.
Call any faith-based organization, share your situation and they will help
you.  Perhaps the county social services needs to hear your story so they
can help.  I hope the fact you could be the instigator of change in you
community for the better motivates you to look into things more.  This is
coming from someone so shy nobody  heard me speak in public until I was in
7th grade.  College was very liberating and I dropped the shy person I was
for the most part and found my voice.

If it is a college class you want to take, contact the disability services
program for ideas before signing up.  This is part of their job.  They are
there to help with more than just get your books in a special format or help
you find your way around.  Contact the state services for the blind or
office of the  blind.  In WI the office for the blind works strictly with
adults who are either not working or are in retirement and need help doing
daily living tasks.  No matter what state, you are not alone Michelle. There
are a lots of people in WI stuck in rural areas with nothing but 300
residents, a bar, a church and perhaps a convenience store.  Neighbors are
miles away, not just down the street.  Just keep looking.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short